A good time was had by all....
Well, everyone seemed to have a great time Sunday at Father Benda's log home. He had invited all his cousins to come over for dinner and merriment. As usual, there was alot of food and singing..the Benda's really enjoy their music.
Monday, I had my long awaited appointment with the University of Iowa orthapedics department. I made this appointment about 3 months ago thinking surely my feet problem would be better and I could just cancel it...well, that certainly wasn't the case. I saw Dr. Amendoula who is the orthaped assigned to the Iowa Football team. I tried as hard as I could to be impressed by that and all the tacky black and gold furnishings in the office, but it just didnt work. I looked around the waiting room to observe who his other patients were, you know...were they athletically fit, young, robust healthy people? Well, lets just put it this way.....I actually appeared to be one of the smallest youngest patients there.....I especially noticed the rather huge man dressed in coveralls sleeping in the corner......I felt so bad when they called his name and woke him up......
So, after about 4 hours of filling in questionaires, taking x-rays and seeing Dr. Amendoula the verdict was delivered......you have to have surgery. It turns out my pain really isnt coming from the bone spurs but rather from my achilles tendon which for some reason has turned to bone from my heel and up about 2 inches. The simple solution is the make a 6-8 inch incision from the back of my heel up my leg, remove the boney part and re-attach the tendon. 6-8 weeks in a cast, about 4 months of physical therapy and I should be in pretty good shape! The good news is no more cortisone injections...the bad news is I don't do crutches well. So, now I have to figure out what to do...at this point I have put the decision on hold........I have more important things to think of such as my greenhouse and gardening.....how do you get in a camper on crutches? You see what I mean?
So...until next time..I promise not to discuss my feet any more......MOM
No comments:
Post a Comment