Spring has sprung at the farm.....
Unfortunately, its still frickin' freezing outside. Kurtis had his first little calf early this morning to a first year heifer, and she doesnt like him. Kurtis has spent the entire day getting him and his mother locked up in the barn and giving bottles of milk to try and get him a head start. Since this is her first calf, she really wants nothing to do with him....life can be so cruel. So, its warm milk from a kind bohemie for now.
We had a very nice weekend. Friday night was the Pheasants Forever banquet in Iowa City at the Highlander. It was really fun. We took Father Benda along and he managed to win the pick of the auction....hmmm suppose he had any "devine" help? He won the Pheasants Forever print of the year which was worth about $425.00. I managed to win a nice print and a sculpture of a chickadee sitting on a nest. This was one of the "especially for women" drawings they had. Apparently they have figured out that if you want to have the guys show up....ya better put something out there for the damn tag along women......and it seems to have worked. I was very entertained watching Kurtis. He seems to have developed quite a following of gun crazed males from working at Scheels. One guy came over to the table and asked him to come over and help a guy put together a gun that was on the auction that they seemed to be having some technical difficulty with. I watched him walk over, pick it up and snap, snap and the parts went together. I think he has definately found his passion. The food was really good, we got home about 10:30 or so.
Saturday was just great! I decided to put house cleaning on drudgery on hold...and to spend a day doing something I enjoy. So, Marsha came over and we spent the afternoon pouring through seed catalogs!! I think its fair to say.....2006 is going to be an absolutely fabulous year for horticulture!! We finished the evening out with a fabulous meal out at the HuHot in Iowa City. Yes, we ate ourselves into misery....yeah, so whats new!
Sunday was pretty low key...I did some wash, and general chores around the house. I did run to Iowa City for a short time....It occured to me about 3:00 someone has a birthday tomorrow, and I didnt have the appropriate, sensitive, sweet yet just slightly insulting birthday card that I needed...I also managed to stop at Menards and browse through the Burpee seed rack. God knows, I dont want to risk some other smuck coming through and buying the last package of kentucky blue lake green beans or something! I did make a few purchases but have many more yet to come......Well, thats it for my weekend. Hope you had a nice birthday Jennifer....until next time......MOM
No comments:
Post a Comment