OK, now sing along to the them of Oklahoma "Oh, what a beautiful WEEKEND"
I really did have a very nice weekend. Saturday Kurtis worked all day, so I just did the normal mundane house cleaning, wash etc. I also did manage to clean and re-organize the back pantry so I could move my Martha Washington Geraniums out there for a chilling cycle that they require. I learned at my last stop at the Tipton Greenhouse while visiting with Dean Anderson that you must chill them for about 4 weeks or they wont bloom. So in the chiller they go.
Sunday was just delightful. I now refer to Sunday as my retreat to life before Scheels day. Kurtis has usually planned a nice day and we go off and enjoy it. This Sundays agenda started off with the Gun Show at Hawkeye Downs (now, does that tell you how desperate I have become to spend time with Kurtis? Yes, a gun show) So, while Kurtis browses through the M1 Garands, Lugers, Remingtons and other so called weapons of mass destruction..I catch up on the news in the car with the Sunday Gazette. It was quite nice and even though it was chilly outside, the sun beaming in on me and reflecting off the paper made it quite cozy. I paticularly enjoyed the article submitted by Ms. Diane Pesek who while doing some bird watching out at the park observed a long tailed duck. It seems this duck is a rare winter visitor to Iowa so it was quite a treat. Unfortunately while looking at the duck through her spoting binoculars she seen it was tangled up in some monofilament fishing line and was unable to fly. After contacting other fellow bird watchers, the crew was able to remove the line from the ducks feet. Another success story in suburbia America!
From the gun show we headed uptown Cedar Rapids. We had decided to go visit the Linn County Historical Society to maybe get some clever ideas for setting up displays at the CCHS museum. But, as usual, like the Griswalds, the sign said "Closed until April 1 to re-work displays" Guess we'll have to come back.
We then headed out towards Marion to do some antiquing, but made a stop at Carlos OKellys for some food and libation. It was especially good as usual.
On to the shops...Kurtis bought me a very beautiful McCoy vase done in kind of a sage green color - almost looks like spatterware - he informed me it would be my "Valentines" gift. Ahhh so sweet.
Off to the grocery store and head for home. On the way home we pulled into Palisades Park and looked over the camping grounds. It was just beautiful out there yesterday, we drove down to the river and parked for awhile and watched the ducks and geese on the water. Damn, if I was just a few years younger....Oh, but we did ok anyway!! HA!
Back home about 3:30 or so then we headed over to Father Bendas and watched the Super Bowl. I made BBQ pork sandwiches, coleslaw and chicken wings. It was pretty good.
So, you see it really was a nice weekend...Im so looking forward to spring. I have so many plans....so we'll see. I do some of my best planning on my back in bed at night..I can just see the dirt flying, the garden growing and the flowers blooming! But come morning....the feet hurt, the fat gets in the way and the attitude slumps......second thought..need to think positive! It is going to be a great year!
Until next time.....MOM
No comments:
Post a Comment