Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Thank you Lord for sparing me this time and allowing me one more day on this precious planet earth......

Hmmm...sounds a bit "Born again" huh? Well, I had one of those "wake up moments" on my way home from Iowa City tonight....try not to laugh, but it was actually quite tramatic. So, I decide to stop in at Hy Vee on Dodge street on my way home from having a rather delightful meal with my Kurtis at HuHot. I just needed a couple of common staples at the local grocer...you know, the standards, like milk, butter.....and Blue Bunny Homestyle Ice Cream (get off my back, it's for Kurtis) I come out the door clutching my re-cyclable Hy Vee plastic bags laden with my purchases and notice about 4 cars, a couple of vans and a Iowa City police car in the middle of the parking lot and they are all stareing skyward and pointing. I really don't pay much attention thinking maybe a rare rapture hawk has made a nest in the big "V" of HyVee or something and I load my groceries and head off.
My phone goes off and I answer it...it is Kurtis. He tells me a tornado warning has just been issued for Newton road towards Solon and a funnel cloud is reported headed towards Morse. Oh, I said, maybe that explains the strange gawking at the clouds in the parking lot....after all, I really didnt think the damn rare hawk nested around here anyway. So, I thank him for his concern, and head out.
I cant help but notice there are also police officers pulled over at several spots on Dodge street, and there seems to be a rather large, ugly black cloud over towards the Morse area. So, I keep driving, and it gets darker and darker and darker......as I head into Morse the rains start, then the hail...and finally the winds. Cars are pulling over....but me??? Nope, just keep on trucking. As I begin the turn towards Father Benda's log home and the Voparil residence things start to get really nasty!! It is now raining so hard and blowing I can barely see.....so what do I do..pull over? Nope, may as well head for home......don't mind the fact that you just sighted Bobby Ratliff flying his helicopter over head......obviously searching desperately for that famous "Rotation" that no doubt gives Denny Frary an erection when it is reported!!! I have never seen more dedicated weather newsmen than the channel 9 guys....bless their hearts and that famous "TV9 Triple Doplar Radar with Future Cast!"
The good news is that I did make it home, I took on a few nasty hail stones and some high winds, but made it none the less. Oh, and by the way...what happen to my concerned husband????? I tried calling him back several times on my cell phone....no answer!! Well, I guess he took refuge somewhere around the St. Bridgets church....hunkered down and forget all about me!!!! Says he had no signal....his phone never rang. I could be hanging by my fat ass in some twisted oak tree for all he knew!!! But, it all turned out ok, and I'm glad. The milk is in the refrigerator and the ice cream in the freezer!
So, until next time....MOM

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That was hilarious. You are chancing it a bit with the tornados though. First, you are cussing them from the porch door and now tempting them to sweep your Explorer right off the road?? Bad karma Mommy...

Mrs Weidner said...

LOL. I am just dying here. I think the tornados have it out for you. First the greenhouse..now the Explorer. You better be careful!!