Friday, March 16, 2007

And now for something completely different.......

Today I am taking a small diversion from my reporting on my vacation in beautiful Hawaii....and what a diversion it is!!! After you read this blog, you will either have much for respect for me....or shake your head and realize I have officially gone over the hill now.....I'm afraid most will think the later!!
I came home from work yesterday and was minding my own business in the house thinking about and arranging for a nice home cooked meal for my sweet husband Kurtis. As I was trying to decide between BBQ'ed chicken breast on the grill, or good ole fashioned tube steaks..I was interruped by the constant barking of Millie out front on the patio. So, I headed outside ready to give a good scurging to her to shut the hell up...When I looked out and there she had a big coon trapped by the greenhouse (that was the coons first mistake). So, I said to myself "Hmmm this is a good opportunity to rid this neighborhood of one more Coon", the only problem is that I don't know if I can muster up the courage to do what has to be done.
After a couple of deep breaths, I walked back in the house, took down the ole gun from where it was hanging....and stepped outside. I looked at the weapon I had chosen....and thought, now what do I do. I formulated a plan......I'll go out....I'll point it at the creature....and I'll see what happens. You know what??? I crept around the house....Millie had cornered the coon by the front porch, so I called her to come to me....raised my weapon of mass destruction, pulled back the cocker thing, took steady aim.......and boom!!!! I blasted the beast right in the chest and killed it dead!!!! I was shaking like a leaf, and the noise was terrible (Kurt says it's nothing) but it was to me. I stood by and watched as nature took its course...called Millie again, and went back in the house. I couldn't believe it..I shot the damn thing!! Was I proud? Yeah, I think I am. I hate coons and we have too many, besides a coon that is out in the middle of the day, is usually a bad indication. So, when Kurtis came home I reported my big kill. He couldn't believe it! I'm not sure if he was impressed....or now has one more layer of fear for me than he had before. Like any true hunter, proud of their bounty..I had Kurtis snap a picture of me..I will be sending a copy to the "Outdoor Adventurer" magazine at my first convenience!!!
Until next time....MOM (Sorry kids I hope I don't embarass you too bad....but this was definately a good Steve moment!!)


No comments: