Monday, October 16, 2006

To every thing there is a season....

A time to plant (garlic)..a time to sow (holly hock seeds)
A time to harvest
A time to reap
A time to trap coons
A time to burn barns
A time to go out and buy a Bobcat...........oh, I digress...

Well, its been awhile since I have sat down here and thought about some of the exciting things going on here at the Voparil Farm. Fall has settled in here, and the weather definately screams of winters coming. I went out Sunday to do some picture taking of the pretty leaves and fall scenes only to find....as usual...Im too late. The horrible winds we had last week and freezing weather trashed the leaves and they are well down to Cedar Bluff by now.
I spent all day Saturday cleaning off the garden and getting things ready for winter. I pulled all my garden stuff, flowers and dumped my pots. It always seems so cruel to do, but I look forward to spring again and starting over.
Last Saturday we burned the old barn that I have threated to do for over 10 years now. It didnt take long and it was just a memory. We now have some major clean up to do but things will look much nicer (I hope) when its complete. Of course with the task in front of us....my husband took the opportunity to go buy himself a Bobcat skidsteer....well, he had to, there is clean up work to do!! I kind of wondered about the thing untill he informed me that they have a really nice garden tiller you can rent that goes on the front and can till a 60" swath at a time.....hmmm maybe this is ok. I also notice the bucket looks just the right size for a nice big dump of compost when I need it. Yeah, this is ok.
I'm still hoping we get some nice Indian Summer yet, I have quite a lot of outside chores I want to get done yet....but we will just have to see. I had a landscaper come out and give me a quote on finishing off my sidewalks, but havent decided for sure what to do yet. Nothing is easy, and everthing is sooo expensive.
Fall, is such a pretty time of year, and I really do enjoy the cooler weather, but somedays it makes me feel kind of sad..and old. Jessica and Rob are doing great, and little Ellie gets cuter and bigger everyday. Jennifer and Tom are all married now and settling in very nicely. Kurtis and I plug away each day, and enjoy everyday (despite Scheels) So, life is good.
Until next time......MOM

No comments: